Zebra Soapstone Sculptures, Set of 2
This set of two complementing Zebra sculptures are each hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, and painted in opposite patterns to created an interconnected balance.
- Each measures approximately 2-inches tall by 3-inches wide.
- Natural soapstone finish with black stripes; Painted black finish with natural stripes.
- Soapstone is a soft, natural mineral from the earth, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.